Thursday 28 March 2013

Rum Raisin Cheesecake Style Pancakes

These are perfect as a breakfast treat. I came up with this recipe on a cold Chrismas Eve morning, at approximately 4:46 am, I kid you not. I was severely jett-lagged and could not stay asleep past 3am , so to let my hard working hubby enjoy his very deserved sleep I left the comfort of my bed and dragged my poor body to the kitchen. Now , it's a bit of a weird tradition in our household for me to make pancakes  when I'm jett-lagged. It usually goes : "Morning, honey, here is your breakfast. I'm off to bed, please wake me up before 2 pm." Perfect wife, as far as I am concerned. I have tried this recipe since with slight variations, originally I used Philadelphia cream cheese but later I tried cottage cheese instead (the eastern european pressed variety, low fat). To tell you the truth I do prefer the cottage cheese one, the pancakes come out more sturdy. Also, if you will be using raisins , do soak them in alcohol of your choice overnight, I do believe it improves the flavour! One of my closest friends simply cant stand any fruit in her pancakes,so if you feel the same , simply put a handfull of chocolate buttons instead.
250 gr of pressed cottage cheese or full fat cream cheese
2 large eggs
200 gr self-raising flour
50gr of soft light brown sugar
zest of 1 orange
100 gr of raisins , soaked overnight in rum
30-40 gr of peanuts, toasted and crushed
Beat the eggs with sugar for a good 5 min.
Add the cream/cottage cheese and mix well,add the flour, mix well.
Stir in the raisins, orange zest and nuts.
Get your pan nice and hot, I use regular vegetable oil , 2-3 min. each side should be enough.
 
 
Serve with a chocolate sauce and a cheeky Buck Fizz/Mimosa!


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment