Wednesday 16 October 2013

Buckwheat with Mushrooms and Leeks.

It does not get any more russian then this recipe. Buckwheat is a staple grain in russian cuisine, this is what we call kasha. Actually kasha is a collective name for any kind of cooked grain, but the buckwheat is the best of all. It's a fantastic alternative for rice, but , I believe, much healthier. I used to bring it from Russia, every time I visited my parents, well, now it's available in UK , check the deli shops or look it up on the internet, it's super cheap as well. As for the health benefits, my mother used to encourage me to eat my kasha , telling me that this is what  professional ballerinas eat. This was good enough for me! To this day, I have not checked this theory, as I don't actually know any professional russian ballerinas , although something tells me they probably don't use much butter in their recipe! There are two kinds of buckwheat: raw and toasted, both are fine, the only slight difference is that the toasted one is a bit "nuttier" to taste.
This recipe is great as a side dish for any kind of meat or fish, just don't forget sauce or gravy. For vegetarians I would recommend to pair it with ratatouille, simply delicious together!
This recipe is for two people.
1 mug of buckwheat
1 mug just boiled water
2 portobello mushrooms (you can use any kind of mushrooms, wild ones are the best)
1 medium leek
a splash of vegetable oil
a knob of butter
salt and pepper to taste
some chopped parsley


Wash the buckwheat under the running water, put the kettle on.
Pour the boiling water over the buckwheat.
You can boil it, but I prefer to cover it and wrap it with a towel and leave it for half an hour or so.
Drain all the extra liquid , if needed, set aside.
Heat up the oil in the pan, chop the mushrooms and the leek and saute them, until almost ready.
Stir in the buckwheat,the parsley and the butter.
Heat right through, season to taste and serve.
Enjoy!









No comments:

Post a Comment