Wednesday 2 October 2013

Cupcake Baking and Decorating Class with Angel Food Bakery.

I have to share a little story first: a few years ago I came across a tiny cupcake shop in the heart of Brighton, it was a small shop with just a couple of chairs and a counter.The cupcakes were just coming into fashion then and a lot of bakeries were doing them, but the Angel Food Bakery ones stood out, due to the wonderful flavours and the consistent quality. My 30th Birthday cake was indeed a massive Red Velvet cupcake with a couple of dozen regular cupcakes around it, my family and friends had it ordered at the Angel Food , knowing my love for Red Velvet! Fast forward a number of years and the bakery is still going strong and now they have expanded and sharing the cupcake knowledge with those who are wanting to learn a few tips! Naturally, I booked a class to attend , even better , the class took place on the eve of my husband's birthday! I got to make a dozen cupcakes: six vanilla and six chocolate ones. The decorating part was my favourite, I let my flamboyant side to take over completely ! I will not give a cupcake recipe here, as it a rather straightforward  one, and I already have a chocolate cupcake recipe on here. However, there are a few useful points I'd like to share with you.
Here we go:
Don't overbeat the mixture, if too much air gets in , the surface of a cupcake will not be smooth.It will be a bit trickier to decorate.
When we were making the chocolate ones the recipe called for a raising agent , not only a baking powder but also a pinch of baking soda were used. 


 Make sure to use to use proper small cupcake cases, and only fill up 3/4, as they will raise. We don't want muffin tops!

Moving on to the icing, I was responsible for a buttercream icing. Make sure that butter is super soft, and remember to sift the icing sugar.



When the time came to choose the colour for my icing, of course, I chose pink! I will be honest here, it was my first experience with food colouring, and as you can see it was a fun one!


 Another mistake that I've been making is not allowing the cupcakes to cool down on the rack , I was leaving them in the oven, that might make them a bit too dry.


I hope you enjoyed reading about the cupcakes and will have loads of fun making them yourselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment