Sunday 25 August 2013

Churros with Chocolate Sauce.

So, if you are feeling like you deserve a naughty treat ,this one is for you. Easy and full of naughtiness! Last week I caught a re-run of one of  Nigella's  cooking shows, and there she was all sultry and sexy , dipping her churros in the chocolate sauce. I immediately developed a craving for those little mexican doughnuts , hence the result! Now, I should confess : this was my very first time deep-frying anything, so my churros , although delicious as they are, don't look very traditional. I think my piping bag had a nozzle a bit too big(1,5 cm). So please use a smaller one if you like the slimmer look.And another first today, all the photos were kindly taken by my lovely husband , I paid him in churros!
Churros:
140 gr. plain flour
1 tsp. baking powder
200 ml. boiling hot water
a few tablespoons of olive oil
about 500 ml. oil for frying
1/3 cup of caster sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
Sauce:
100 ml. double cream
70 gr. milk chocolate
50 gr. dark chocolate
a pinch of sea salt (optional)
Mix well the flour and the baking powder in a dish, add a tablespoon of olive oil and continue mixing by hand.
Add the water and keep folding until your dough becomes elastic.

This done, set it aside, and get your pan ready. As I am not a confident fryer , I veered on a cautious side. I took one of my frying pans and used about 500 ml. of vegetable oil. Here on the photo you can see how deep.
Make sure the oil is hot enough, but not too hot by dropping a bit of white bread in it, if the bread turns golden , the oil is ready to be used. 
Use the rest of the olive oil to moisten your hands and the piping bag, put all the dough in the bag.


Here I followed Nigella's advice on using the scissors, when squeezing the dough out. Also I fried only 4 at a time. 
They don't need long , so keep an eye on them and turn them over as soon as they get golden. 

When all churros are fried put them on a kitchen towel to get rid of extra oil. Prepare the sugar and cinnamon rub.




For the chocolate sauce, heat up the cream with chocolate and a few sea salt flakes, until smooth and silky.



 Enjoy them while they are hot!






No comments:

Post a Comment